WHAT DOES THE PETITION ASK FOR?
No further damage should be done to the archaeological landscape of Stonehenge.
Future generations would be appalled at those who decided that road widening should be at the expense of England’s most iconic World Heritage Site.
If A303 widening at Stonehenge is felt to be essential it should be done by means of a deep bored tunnel at least 4.5km long. Anything shorter would cause irreparable damage to this landscape, in breach of the World Heritage Convention.
NOTES ON PETITION TEXT
PLEASE SELECT THE CORRECT PETITION, SIGN AND SHARE!
TOTALS ON 7 March 2021:
38 Degrees 136,581 UK addresses only
Change.org 66,629 world wide
Total 203,210 *
* Since we cannot validate third party platforms we assume that this total will include some duplication, but it can be treated as a firm indication of the strength of feeling.
NEWS 3 days ordered for Judicial review hearing into Stonehenge road project: 23 to 25 June
Save Stonehenge World Heritage Site Ltd has secured a hearing in their judicial review challenge about the decision to allow a new A303 dual carriageway and tunnel that would cause significant harm to the Stonehenge World Heritage Site. Read summary of grounds.
1. We have told the Government that any road tunnel would need to be long enough to protect the ENTIRE World Heritage Site and its setting. We cannot change the wording but our intention to avoid further damage is clearly stated in the petition.
2. We have learned more about the recently discovered Mesolithic site at Blick Mead. This has led us to consider that if Government insists on a tunnel under the WHS, it must be long enough to avoid the WHS and its setting altogether. This would be in line with planning policy and World Heritage Convention safeguards.
CAN YOU TAKE FURTHER ACTION?
- FOLLOW US – Follow our campaign on Facebook and Twitter.
- SIGN UP to our blogs which we publish at key moments in the campaign. Subscribe here
- PROMOTE OUR PETITION – Can you write a short feature promoting our petition? Do you write a blog, contribute to a magazine or journal, manage of Facebook page, write a travelogue, review for Trip Advisor or send out newsletters?
- WRITE TO THE UK PRIME MINISTER & YOUR MP – Can you write and make similar points to those in our petition? More details here.
- WRITE TO UNESCO – You can write to support UNESCO’s objection to the scheme here where you can send or edit our draft email to let them know your position.
PETITION IN OTHER LANGUAGES
If you would you like to share the petition in your language please email us here.
Please also visit our page about our International Representatives and World Heritage Watch